Friday, May 29, 2015

Abundant Praise

Hello to youuuuuu, beautiful stranger. I came across these babies via Need Supply in my search for a pair of suave sandals to take me through the upcoming summer months. After my initial reaction of being struck by both exquisite shoe and matching price (retails from $385-545), I had to know who these mystery fairy shoemakers were and what they were doing adding to my ever-growing, tantalizing list of premium goods an ordinary college student has no right throwing perfectly good money on, that is of course, unless you absolutely must. This is where I twiddle my thumbs, until the topic courteously shifts (buahahaha).

A couple easy minutes of perusing the interwebs resulted in a thorough interview, conducted by Footwear Plus, of the work ethic and ethos behind the brand Wal and Pai. What I discovered was a heady vision by LA-based pair, Hsuan Pai and Harel Waldman, to "look at the past and think of the future to make a perfect hybrid of recognized aesthetics with modern interpretation." They cite inspiration from the likes of Martin Margiela, Helmut Lang, Rei Kawakubo, and Anne Demeulmeester, all of which is apparent in their own quirky, abstract, minimalist design. Whatever the case, I'm completely enamored by this selection's chalky hues, slouchy ballerina meets astronaut theme, and the pair's obsession with delivering premium quality goods. Waldman ends his interview with a bit of counsel that I have come to (against my better judgement?) internalize - "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."


   

xx, a Christina who knows not when to say no

No comments:

Post a Comment